Thursday, October 15, 2009

Do You Remember "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally?"

PEMDAS

You might remember learning this in your pre-algebra or early algebra days. It's a way to remember the order of operations for problems that require more than one type of operation.

Please=P=Parentheses
Excuse=E=Exponents
My=M=Multiplication...Dear=D=Division -->mutliplication and division are done together in the same step from left to right
Aunt=A=Addition...Sally=S=Subtraction -->addition and subtraction are done together in the same step from left to right

P...E...M/D -->....A/S -->

Handy to have tricks like that, I think. Good to be reminded. And fun to try a few problems to practice the order. Feel free to challenge me with a few problems to test my ability to follow order of operations.

1 comment: