Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 15th Vocab Words

Note that I study all material, even that which is just a review. Feel free to post challenges for me, make memorization suggestions, correct misused words, or whatever else you want. The reason I am doing this is for the fun of an interactive study experience.

Below are three vocab words, with a link to a sound clip and definition as well as the definition given by my study manual...and several vocabulary sentences made up by yours truly.

exigent (adjective): urgent, pressing; requiring immediate action or attention (according to online dictionary, also "demanding much")
  • The whole thing felt exigent only to me, but nonetheless, I could not sleep until the job was completed.
  • The questions that called me awake in the night were existential ones, and though they were not earthly, they were no less exigent.
  • The letter arrived second-day air, clearly having been seen as exigent by its sender.
  • The judge operated his court without treating any case as more exigent than others, and having waited many hours to have our case heard, we were finally called to our testimony.
  • The pain was acute and exigent, and we made haste to the hospital where he was treated for a hemorrhage.
  • "Exigent circumstance" is a legal term involving entry without warrant because of the belief that potential that harm is otherwise imminent.
  • The circumstances were nothing short of exigent, and we first involved the local police department, followed soon by the public works authorities.
  • By middle school, sexuality education is an exigent matter.

capricious (adjective): inclined to change one's mind impulsively; erratic; unpredictable

  • I'm capricious because I am a Gemini, and I am of two minds about everything I do.
  • If you insist on being capricious, we will insist on a signed contract.
  • The congregation, unusually capricious in nature, hired several contactors in succession and without due process, and eventually the building expansion failed.
  • If she wasn't so capricious, I'd tell my children ahead of time that she said she'd come over, but I'd hate for them to look forward to seeing her only to later be disappointed.
  • I dread shopping with my capricious husband.
  • Fear of potentially capricious member behavior causes most organizations to have limited opportunities for organizational change and for the checks and balances to weigh most heavily on the side of caution.
  • To many, the ruling seemed arbitrary and capricious, but not to those who had carefully followed the case as it made its way through the courts.
  • If he wasn't capricious, and we could count on him, he wouldn't be himself, but he would be easier to live with.

irascible (adjective): easily angered; prone to tempermental outbursts

  • Because he was irascible, he was prone to fulminate, and we usually avoided him.
  • Before begining treatment for depression, his friends regretfully described him as irascible and abusive.
  • I never could figure out why I loved her so much, as irascible as she was and as much as she would fulminate for days on end.
  • We forgave them for being so irascible, as afterall, they were sleep-deprived teenagers.
  • Despite the reputation that my father had of being a crotchety old man, I find that as I age, I am less irascible, more patient and forgiving, and more even-keeled.
  • I was narrscistic and irrascible, and I have no idea how they put up with me for so long.
  • The gorilla, in a state of utter grief over the loss of her child, was irascible and at times violent, and we feared approaching her with the tranquilizer, though she very much needed the medical attention.
  • You'd have more friends if you weren't so irrascible.

No comments:

Post a Comment